Thursday, August 04, 2005

KARI'S NEW ADDRESS -- Please take careful note

     Kari was moved this afternoon to the adjacent Craig Hospital where she will begin rehab work, presumably tomorrow.  Her new address is:
    
     Karen Morris-Guzman
     Room 304, Bed A
     Craig Hospital
     3425 S. Clarkson
     Englewood, CO  80113
    
     EMAILS: The Craig Hospital does NOT appear to have a similar email system as Swedish Hospital.  We'll see how best to keep the emails coming--perhaps sending them directly to Aaron, who has his laptop with him.  It will take a couple of days to sort this out. For now, I think cards and letters would be a good way to keep in touch with Kari and Aaron.
     Linda reports that moving caused Kari another bout of maximum stress.  Just like last time there were seven or eight people flying around her, taking things down, packing things up, unhooking this and that.  Seen from a slight distance it was a little comical, like the Three Stooges times two!  They move patients from Swedish to Craig via an underground walk way.  "We're going to have to get a good running start," Linda heard one of the movers say.  Sure enough, one part of the walk way seemed to be on a 20-25% incline, so at one point they were almost running.  Kari wanted Aaron at the foot of her bed when they were moving, just so she could see him because she was so afraid.  But it was a bad position for him.  He ran the bed into the wall a couple of times and was moved elsewhere along the bed.  The position was bad for his back, too.  Recent x-rays reveal that Aaron suffered some compression fractures in an upper vertebra (perhaps around C4-C5, I'm not sure yet).  Dr. McVicker, the great surgeon who operated on Kari, saw Aaron and said these should heal on their own in a couple of weeks.  Nothing to be alarmed about, unless Aaron strains the back by lifting too much, wrenching it, or running into more walls, none of which we hope he does.
     Another whirlwind of change for these two, something they will be experiencing for quite some time.  As always, we appreciate your intercessions on their behalf.
 
--Richard R. Guzman 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I sent an e-mail just now to the 4277 room. I don't know if you will get it or not. My name is Cyndi Rowden. You do not really know me although Aaron knows my nephew Gregory AhSue. He has been his music/trumpet teacher. Also, I recorded an episode of the TV series 24 that I believe you watched. I am going to briefly repeat what I wrote in the e-mail in case that you do not receive it. I was very sorry to hear about your accident. I am a speech pathologist at a rehab hospital in San Bernardino (Ballard Rehab Hospital). You are at one of the best facilities in the country right now but if you are thinking of bringing Kari back to SoCal for rehab I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have and to help you navigate the medical system. There are not very many acute rehab facilities in the area but hopefully I could answer any questions or concerns. Please feel free to e-mail me at cyndirowden@hotmail.com or call me at work 909-473-1239 or on my cell 951-830-5700. I will be off work for the next week but please do not hesitate to call my cell if you would like to talk. My prayers are with you.

Cyndi Rowden

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I just sent LArkin and a friend back to her new home in Wisconsin where she will begion her new job at Woodlands School teaching 5th grade beginner band students. These children have no idea what a joy they are in for to be making band friends who will last a lifetime!
We are thinking about you all daily and pray for rest and recuperation between therapy sessions. Aaron, take care of that back!
Love, Mom, Jan, Barrett
ps I, too sent an email to "Kari" and she might not have received it...basically, you are loved!!!

Chris Monroe said...

For some reason, I'm having a little trouble locating Aaron's email address. Can you post it or forward it to me? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Susan Colby wrote, Let Us Pray! Now, Aaron put some notes to those words. I hope you managed to get your guitar, borrow a guitar, or beg a guitar. Put that guitar to some good use, and releave some stress. Both yours and Kari's. Thank-You Susan for writing and sharing your pray/poem/song. Amen. Kim R-G (from Riverside, Ca.)