Kari had her second set of casts put on her arms Monday and the process seems to be going very well. The whole thing should be done on Dec. 12th or 19th, which puts our release date on the 20th or 27th, which is more in line with where we were thinking before. Maybe we’ll be home for Christmas, maybe not—it doesn’t really matter to me, I just want to go home sometime. We’ve also found some nurses and techs that we like on this side and that has made life more enjoyable. We still miss our old staff, but many of them have come by to visit, which has been nice. The nurse today and the tech tonight talked a lot about the different things they need to teach us before we go home. After being in limbo for so long it’s sort of scary to think that we’ll be going home in 3-4 weeks. We left California on July 13th, and while I’ve been back for a total of 6 days, Kari has been gone now for 140. There is so much to do to get ready to come back. My biggest concerns right now are that we’ll have all our equipment on time, that the apartment management will help us modify the bathroom to put in a roll-in shower, and that we’ll qualify for Medi-Cal and In Home Supportive Services (IHSS). So far, we’ve been too “rich” to qualify for anything but disability, but I’ve learned a little about the process and am going to re-apply. I’m not sure what we are going to do about home health care if we don’t get IHSS. The system is such that I’d be better off making a lot less money. Anyways, pray for a softening of heart for the manager of our apartment, for quick processing of all our equipment orders, and for favor with the person that reviews our Medi-Cal and IHSS applications.
After being sick for about the last week, Kari had a better day today, but in the evening had a lot of stomach pain and spasms as well as extremely high blood pressure. At one point it was 203/97. The doctor wasn’t exactly sure what caused it because it didn’t look like autonomic dysreflexia, so he prescribed some new medicine. The best news, though, is that Kari got her trache tube removed today! It looked pretty weird when they took it out because there was just a hole in her neck. I showed it to Kari in the mirror before they bandaged it up and she thought it looked weird too. Because she had her trache for so long, it may take up to 3 weeks to totally heal. Tomorrow she is having her vena cava filter (helps prevent blood clots) removed, and after that the only thing left to go is to take out her g-tube, which goes into her stomach. I still can’t believe that we’re actually leaving in less than a month. Part of my brain is telling me that it won’t happen anyways and that something else will come up, but I’m trying to be optimistic. We are still on for another month this summer, but can’t wait to get back home and get back to work and school.
P.S. Gage people be proud—I played our tech a recording of my orchestra and she was floored by how good it was.